A tripod is an indispensable piece of gear for each critical DSLR photographer. However should you’re a photographer that travels rather a lot, you’ll typically have second ideas about taking a heavy, cumbersome tripod with you. Particularly in the event you’re touring by aircraft, the place each ounce of baggage counts, you’ll need to pack your digital camera bag as mild as potential.
Photograph by Manfrotto
Thankfully, there are particular journey tripods available on the market which are designed particularly with portability in thoughts. You’ll be able to simply take them with you on the street, as they’re light-weight and compact. We’ve did some analysis and reviewed the eight greatest fashions. We hope it lets you discover the most effective journey tripod of 2016 / 2017.
- 1 Carbon Fiber or Aluminum?
- 1.1 Gitzo GT1542T Collection 1 Carbon Fiber Traveler Tripod
- 1.2 MeFoto C2350Q2T GlobeTrotter Carbon Fiber Travel Tripod
- 1.3 Feisol CT-3442 Carbon Fiber Travel Tripod with CB40 Ball Head
- 1.4 MeFoto A1350Q1T Roadtrip Travel Tripod Package
- 1.5 Manfrotto BeFree Compact Light-weight Tripod
- 1.6 MeFoto A0350Q0K Backpacker Travel Tripod
- 1.7 Dolica TX570B150SL Extremely Compact Tripod
- 1.8 Slik Dash Professional II Tripod
- 2 Extra info on tripods
Carbon Fiber or Aluminum?
When buying a journey tripod, you possibly can usually select between two varieties: carbon fiber development and aluminum development. Carbon fiber tripods are lighter and stronger than aluminium ones, so if you’re on the hunt for the easiest journey tripod, we undoubtedly advocate going with carbon fiber. Carbon fiber tripods are priced slightly larger than aluminium ones although. In our overview we’ve reviewed each tripod varieties:
Gitzo GT1542T Collection 1 Carbon Fiber Traveler Tripod
The Gitzo GT1542T is absolutely the winner when it comes right down to journey tripods. It’s the lightest, but most secure and sturdy tripod that we’ve come throughout to date. The Gitzo GT1542T has an all carbon fiber development with distinctive construct high quality. It weighs simply 2.2 lbs and folds right down to 16.73 inches when absolutely closed.
The utmost peak (with the middle absolutely expanded) is 58.66 inches and the bottom peak is eight.66 inches. This offers a superb peak vary for many photographers.
The tripod legs are tightened utilizing Gitzo’s patented G-lock, a twist lock system that works excellent and retains the legs in place always. The GT1542T additionally performs very properly in vibration resistance checks, because of it’s carbon fiber development and a few magnesium elements.
There are solely two downsides to the Gitzo GT1542T. First off, it doesn’t embrace a ball head. Some photographers contemplate this to be a plus, as they will use their very own favourite ball head. Second draw back: its worth is somewhat excessive. The Gitzo GT1542T is the one tripod on this overview that’s priced over 500 dollars. Whereas this can be a lot of cash for a tripod, this is perhaps the one (journey) tripod you’ll ever want to purchase.
- Light-weight Carbon Fiber development: solely 2.2 lbs
- Compact: folds right down to 16.73 when absolutely closed
- Distinctive construct high quality
- Wonderful peak vary: eight.66” (min) to 58.66” (max)
- Good vibration resistance
- Greater worth vary
- Ball head not included (may be bought additional as a package deal)
MeFoto C2350Q2T GlobeTrotter Carbon Fiber Travel Tripod
MeFoto is a newcomer on the tripod market, however they provide a superb vary of journey tripods. The Mefoto C2350Q2T GlobeTrotter is their prime mannequin. It’s a very properly constructed carbon fiber tripod that folds right down to 16.1” and weighs solely four.6 lbs. This makes it a really perfect journey companion for a lot of photographers.
A weight of four.6 lbs doesn’t make it the lightest mannequin on this comparability, however the GlobeTrotter does have a really excessive help capability of 26.four lbs. It’s subsequently a superb journey tripod for bigger digital camera our bodies and lenses.
The utmost peak of the tripod is 64.2”, whereas the minimal peak is 16.1”. In the event you’re into macro and really low angles, than you may discover this minimal size to be a bit too excessive.
A top quality Q collection ballhead with an Arca-Swiss suitable fast launch plate is included with the tripod. It additionally boasts a separate head and pan lock, so you possibly can precisely transfer your digital camera into any place.
A pleasant additional function is the power to make use of the Mefoto C2350Q2T as a monopod. This may be achieved by unscrewing one of the legs and attaching it to the middle column.
- Folded size of 16.1”, very compact
- Helps very giant cameras, as much as 26.four lbs
- Top quality carbon fiber development
- Can be used as a monopod
- Very affordable worth for a carbon fiber tripod
- Much less fitted to macro and low-angle (min. peak: 16.1’)
- Leg locks want good tightening
Feisol CT-3442 Carbon Fiber Travel Tripod with CB40 Ball Head
The Feisol CT-3442 is a wonderful carbon fiber journey tripod. Weighing simply three.11 kilos and measuring 16.93 inches when folded, it’s a very compact mannequin. Regardless of its compact measurement, it gives a powerful peak vary, with a minimal peak at 17 inches and a most at 72.eight inches.
The Feisol CT-3442 could be very strong and has a top quality carbon fiber development. It subsequently gives an excellent vibration resistance.
It additionally comes with a superb CB40 ballhead, that strikes easily but in addition provides good stability. In case you already personal an excellent ballhead, it’s attainable to get this tripod with out the ballhead. This mannequin is priced a bit decrease and is called the Feisol Travel CT-3441S.
What we don’t like concerning the Feisol CT-3442 is the non retractable weight hook on the backside, which appears a bit flimsy.
- Strong carbon fiber development
- Light-weight: three.11 lbs
- Extends to a most peak of 72.eight”
- Compact: folds right down to 16.93”
- Top quality CB40 ballhead included
- Weight hook on the backside doesn’t retract
- Minimal peak is 17”, so not a sensible choice for macro and low-angle
MeFoto A1350Q1T Roadtrip Travel Tripod Package
The MeFoto A1350Q1T Roadtrip is a compact and comparatively light-weight tripod that weights about three.6 lbs. It measures 15.four inch when absolutely folded. The utmost peak it might attain is 61.6 inch. It could actually help most bigger DSLR our bodies and lenses, as the utmost supported weight is 17.6 lbs. It features a very respectable Q collection ball head and a fast launch plate that’s suitable with Arca-Swiss. A really good function is that this mannequin can be used as a monopod. This could simply be finished, by screwing collectively the middle and a tripod leg.
- Light-weight: three.6 lbs
- Compact: 15.four inch when folded
- Most peak: 61.6 inch
- Most supported weight: 17.6 lbs
- Could be used as a monopod as properly
- Turns into barely unstable when absolutely prolonged (might be fastened by hanging a weight within the middle, like a digital camera bag)
- Legs use a screwing mechanism to lock as an alternative of handles
Take a look at this video to see easy methods to convert the MeFoto Roadtrip right into a monopod:
Manfrotto BeFree Compact Light-weight Tripod
Manfrotto is taken into account to be one of the perfect tripod manufacturers. Additionally they function a journey tripod of their product vary: the Manfrotto BeFree. The BeFree is a light-weight and compact tripod with a strong development, however is priced greater than its important rivals. The tripod weighs solely three.1 lbs and has a load capability of eight.eight lbs. Its size when absolutely folded is 15.eight inches and it could possibly attain a most peak of 56.7 inches. An honest aluminium ball head is built-in to shortly degree your digital camera. The Manfroto BeFree additionally has a fast launch plate and leg locks with adjustable rigidity. It comes with a padded carrying bag.
- Compact: folded size of 15.eight inches
- Light-weight: three.1 lbs
- Most peak: 56.7 inches
- Leg locks have adjustable rigidity
- Sturdy, all-metal design (aluminium)
- Simpler to knock over as a result of of its mild weight
- Becoming it appropriately within the provided bag requires some apply
MeFoto A0350Q0K Backpacker Travel Tripod
The MeFoto A3050Q0K Backpacker is the little brother of the MeFoto A1350Q1T Roadtrip. It principally has the identical options: a Q collection ball head with an Arca Swiss fashion suitable fast launch plate. It additionally has a seperate head and pan lock for securing a digital camera angle. This manner you can also make exact 360 panoramas. It weights about 2.6 lbs, so it’s even lighter then its Roadtrip huge brother. In contrast to its massive brother, it could possibly’t be transformed right into a monopod, however it’s priced quite a bit decrease.
- Very light-weight: 2.6 lbs
- Compact design, folded size: 12.6 inches
- Most peak: 51.2 inches
- Q collection ball head included
- Two leg angle positions
- Most supported weight: eight.eight lbs. Sufficient for many DSLR cameras, however much less then principal rivals
- Can’t be transformed right into a monopod just like the MeFoto A1350Q1T Roadtrip
Dolica TX570B150SL Extremely Compact Tripod
In the event you’re on a price range, then the Dolica TX570B150SL may be a superb choice Regardless of it’s comparatively low worth, this tripod presents skilled high quality. Because of it’s reversible legs, it’s attainable to fold it right down to 12.5 inches. On prime of that, it weighs solely 2.5 lbs. It may well help most DSLR digital camera’s as much as 15 lbs. The Dolica AX620B100 additionally has a ball head with a fast launch plate, foam grips and an angle locking knob. A sturdy carry case is included.
- Light-weight: 2.5 lbs
- Most peak: 57 inches
- Most supported weight: 15 lbs
- Legs may be locked in place
- Low worth
- Twist lock: the leg segments can come unfastened when twisting them too lengthy within the fallacious course
- Turns into barely unstable when absolutely prolonged
Slik Dash Professional II Tripod
Slik has up to date their common Dash Professional mannequin and named it the Slik Dash Professional II. This tripod has been designed with the touring photographer in thoughts. It folds right down to 18.5 inch an weighs slightly below 2 lbs (making it the lightest tripod on this comparability) . The utmost peak it may prolong to is 64 inches. The Dash Professional II features a new designed SBH-100DQ ball head with a fast launch system.
- Very light-weight (lightest on this overview): 2.6 lbs
- Compact: folded size is 18.5 inches
- Most peak: 64 inches
- Properly construct, All aluminium development
- three part leg design makes it quick to arrange and fold down
- Supported weight is simply four.5 lbs
- Turns into barely unstable when absolutely prolonged
- Fast launch plate is slightly small
We hope this detailed comparability was useful to you. Good luck discovering the perfect journey tripod 2016 / 2017!
Extra info on tripods